Vestnik КRAUNC. Fiz.-Mat. nauki. 2023. vol. 44. no. 3. P. 173-194. ISSN 2079-6641
Full text in Russian
Some Methods of Additional Processing of GPR Data on the Example of Radargrams Obtained in the Crater of the Gorely Volcano (Kamchatka)
V. Yu. Pavlova¹^\ast, G. M. Vodinchar², M. Yu. Nekrasova³
¹Vitus Bering Kamchatka State University, 683032, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Pogranichnaya str., 4, Russia
²Kamchatka State Technical University, 683003, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Klyuchevskaya str., 35, Russia
³Kamchatsky branch of the Federal Research Center «Unified Geophysical Service of the Russian Academy of Sciences», 683023, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, bul. Piipa, 9, Russia
Abstract. The article presents the results of work with the georadar «OKO-250» in the crater of the Gorely
volcano (Kamchatka). In world practice, this is the first experience of conducting research using the method
of ground-penetrating radar in the crater of an active volcano. In 2010-2011, continuous spasmodic volcanic
trembling was recorded on Gorely volcano. Steam-gas activity was periodically observed from the crater of
the volcano. In August 2011, when field work was carried out, seismicity at Gorely volcano continued to
remain above background. This work is part of the research aimed at solving the main goal, which is to
create a scientific and methodological basis for the GPR method in relation to Kamchatka, including the
methodology for processing and interpreting data, taking into account practical experience of application
at various sites. One of the tasks addressed in these studies is the use of some methods for additional
processing of sounding results on specific objects of study in order to study the features of the wave pattern
on radargrams. The methods of additional processing of radargrams presented in the paper make it possible
to analyze the wave pattern in detail. In this case, the choice of methods will depend on the goals and tasks
to be solved.
Key words: Kamchatka, Gorely volcano, georadar, the GPR method, radargrams, data processing, volcano seismicity.
Received: 15.09.2023; Revised: 16.10.2023; Accepted: 31.10.2023; First online: 02.11.2023
For citation. Pavlova V. Yu., Vodinchar G. M., Nekrasova M. Yu. Some methods of additional processing of GPR data on the example of radargrams obtained in the crater of the Gorely volcano (Kamchatka). Vestnik KRAUNC. Fiz.-mat. nauki. 2023, 44: 3, 173-194. EDN: QARMVO. https://doi.org/10.26117/2079-6641-2023-44-3-173-194.
Funding. The work was carried out as part of the implementation of the Strategic Academic Leadership Program «Priority 2030. Far East».Competing interests. There are no conflicts of interest regarding authorship and publication.
Contribution and Responsibility. All authors contributed to this article. Authors are solely responsible for providing
the final version of the article in print. The final version of the manuscript was approved by all authors.
^\astCorrespondence: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The content is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
© Pavlova V. Yu., Vodinchar G. M., Nekrasova M. Yu., 2023
© Institute of Cosmophysical Research and Radio Wave Propagation, 2023 (original layout, design, compilation)
- Melekestsev I.V., Braitseva O.A., Ponomareva V.V., Sulerzhitsky L.D. Age and dynamics of formation of active volcanoes in the Kuril-Kamchatka region. Izv. Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Ser. geol. 1990. no. 4. pp. 17-31 (In Russian).
- Melekestsev I.V., Braitseva O.A., Ponomareva V.V. Dynamics of activity of Mutnovsky and Gorely volcanoes in the Holocene and volcanic danger for adjacent areas. Vulcanology and seismology, 1987. no. 3, pp. 3-18 (In Russian).
- Selyangin O.B., Ponomareva V.V. Structure and development of the Gorelovsky volcanic center, South Kamchatka. Vulcanology and seismology, 1999. no. 2, pp. 3-23 (In Russian).
- Kirsanov I.T., Ozerov Yu.A. Composition of products and energy effect of the Gorely volcano eruption in 1980–1981. Volcanology and seismology, 1983. no. 1, pp. 25-43 (In Russian).
- Kirsanov I.T. Gorely volcano, its geological structure, recent eruptions and composition of products. Volcanism and related processes. 1985. no. 1, P. 32 (In Russian).
- Selyangin O.B. K vulkanam Mutnovskiy i Gorelyy. Vulkanologicheskiy i turisticheskiy gid [To the volcanoes Mutnovsky and Gorely. Volcanological and tourist guide]. Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky: Hold. comp. “New Book 2009. 108 p (In Russian).
- Chebrov V.N., Droznin D.V., Kugaenko Yu.A. et al. Sistema seysmologicheskikh nablyudeniy na Kamchatke v preddverii svoyego 50-letiya [The system of seismological observations in Kamchatka on the threshold of its 50th anniversary]. Problems of integrated geophysical monitoring of the Russian Far East. Tr. sci.-tech. Conf., Obninsk: GS RAN, 2011, pp. 35–42 (In Russian).
- Garbuzova V.T., Sobolevskaya O.V. Obnovlennaya klassifikatsiya vulkanicheskikh zemletryaseniy P.I. Tokareva [Updated classification of volcanic earthquakes by P.I. Tokareva]. Problems of integrated geophysical monitoring of the Russian Far East. II region. sci.-tech. Conf., Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky: KF GS RAS, 2010, pp. 25-29 (In Russian).
- Pupatenko V.V., Sukhobok Yu.A. Lithological division of the section according to GPR data. Engineering Ecology, 2013. no. 03. pp. 154-161 (In Russian).
- Problemy podpoverkhnostnoy radiolokatsii [Issues of subsurface radar]. Moscow: Radiotekhnika, 2005. P. 65 (In Russian).
- Tekhnicheskoye opisaniye. Rukovodstvo pol’zovatelya. Oko-2 [Technical description. User manual. Oko-2]. Ramenskoye: LLC “Logic Systems 2007. 93 p (In Russian).
- Starovoitov A.V. Interpretatsiya georadarnykh dannykh [Interpretation of georadar data] Moscow: Moscow State University, 2008, pp. 42-52 (In Russian).
- Bendat J., Peirsol A. Prikladnoy analiz sluchaynykh dannykh [Applied analysis of random data]. Moscow: Mir, 1989.
Information about authors
Pavlova Veronika Yurievna – PhD (Geol. & Mineral.), Assistant Professor of the Department of Biology and Earth Sciences, Leading Researcher at the International Integrative Research Laboratory of Extreme Phenomena in Kamchatka, Vitus Bering Kamchatka State University, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Russia, ORCID 0000-0003-4753-1928.
Vodinchar Gleb Mikhailovich – PhD (Phys. & Math.), Assistant Professor, Assistant Professor of the Control Systems Department, Kamchatka Technical State University, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Russia, ORCID 0000-0002-5516-1931.
Nekrasova Marya Yurievna – engineer of the first category of the department of radiotelemetric seismic stations, Kamchatsky branch of the Federal Research Center UGS RAS ORCID 0009-0009-9848-0869