Vestnik KRAUNC. Fiz.-Mat. Nauki. 2022. vol. 41. no. 4. pp. 137–146. ISSN 2079-6641
Modeling and analysis of foF2 data using NARX neural networks and wavelets
O. V. Mandrikova, Y. A. Polozov
Institute of Cosmophysical Research and Radio Wave Propagation FEB RAS 684034, Paratunka, Russia
The need to detect anomalies is of particular relevance in the problems of geophysical monitoring, it requires ensuring the accuracy and efficiency of the method. The paper proposes an approach based on NARX neural networks for the problem of modeling foF2 data and detecting anomalies in them. It is known that neural networks are difficult to model highly noisy and essentially non- stationary time series. Therefore, the optimization of the process of modeling time series of a complex structure by the NARX network was performed using wavelet filtering. Using the example of processing time series of ionospheric parameters, the effectiveness of the proposed approach is shown, and the results for the problem of detecting ionospheric anomalies are presented. The approach can be applied when performing a space weather forecast to predict the parameters of the ionosphere.
Key words: time series model; wavelet transform; neural network NARX; ionospheric parameters.
Original article submitted: 01.12.2022
Revision submitted: 06.12.2022
For citation. Mandrikova O. V., Polozov Y. A. Modeling and analysis of foF2 data using NARX neural networks and wavelets. Vestnik KRAUNC. Fiz.-mat. nauki. 2022, 41: 4, 137-146. DOI: 10.26117/2079-6641-2022-41-4-137-146
Competing interests. The authors declare that there are no conflicts of interest regarding authorship and publication.
Contribution and Responsibility. All authors contributed to this article. Authors are solely responsible for providing the final version of the article in print. The final version of the manuscript was approved by all authors.
The content is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.ru)
© Mandrikova O.V., Polozov Y.A.
Funding. The work was carried out according to the Subject AAAA-A21-121011290003-0 “Physical pro-cesses in the system of near space and geospheres under solar and lithospheric influences” IKIR FEB RAS. The work was realized by the means of the Common Use Centerastern Heliogeophysical Center” CKP_558279, USU 351757.
- Alperovich L., Eppelbaum L., Zheludev V., Dumoulin J., Soldovieri F., Proto M., Bavusi M., Loperte A. A New Combined Wavelet Methodology: Implementation to GPR and ERT Data Obtained in the Montagnole Experiment, J. Geophys. Eng., 2013, 10, 025017 DOI: 10.1088/1742-2132/10/2/025017.
- Tang R., Zeng F., Chen Z., Wang J.-S., Huang C.-M., Wu Z. The Comparison of Predicting StormTime Ionospheric TEC by Three Methods: ARIMA, LSTM, and Seq2Seq, Atmosphere, 2020, 11, 316 DOI: 10.3390/atmos11040316.
- Kim S.-K., Lee E., Park J., Shin S. TFeasibility Analysis of GNSS-Reflectometry for Monitoring Coastal Hazards, Remote Sensing, 2021, 13, 976 DOI: 10.3390/rs13050976.
- Perol T., Gharbi M., Denolle M. Convolutional Neural Network for Earthquake Detection and Location, Sci. Adv., 2018, 4, e1700578 DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.1700578.
- Pavlicko M., Vojtekov’a M., Bla~zekov’a O. Forecasting of Electrical Energy Consumption in Slovakia, Mathematics, 2022, 10, 577 DOI: 10.3390/math10040577.
- Ma Q., Liu S., Fan X., Chai C., Wang Y., Yang K. A Time Series Prediction Model of Foundation Pit Deformation Based on Empirical Wavelet Transform and NARX Network, Mathematics, 2020, 8, 1535 DOI: 10.3390/math8091535.
- Haykin S. Neural Networks: A Comprehensive Foundation, 2nd ed. N.J., Prentice Hall, 1999. 842.
- Diaconescu E. The use of NARX neural networks to predict chaotic time series, WSEAS Trans. Comp. Res., 2008, 3, 182–191.
- Gao Y., Er M.J. NARMAX Time Series Model Prediction: Feedforward and Recurrent Fuzzy Neural Network Approaches, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 2005, 150, 331–350 DOI: 10.1016/j.fss.2004.09.015.
- Mallat S. A Wavelet Tour of Signal Processing. San Diego, Academic Press, 1999, 620
- Danilov A.D. Ionospheric F-Region Response to Geomagnetic Disturbances, Advances in Space Research, 2013, 52, 343–366 DOI: 10.1016/j.asr.2013.04.019.
- Mandrikova O., Mandrikova, B. Method of wavelet-decomposition to research cosmic ray variations: Application in space weather, Symmetry, 2021. 13:12, 2313 DOI: 10.3390/sym13122313.
- Mandrikova O., Mandrikova, B. Hybrid method for detecting anomalies in cosmic ray variations using neural networks autoencoder, Symmetry, 2022, 14:4, 744 DOI: 10.3390/sym14040744..
- Mandrikova O., Fetisova N., Polozov Y. Hybrid model for time series of complex structure with ARIMA components, Mathematics, 2021. 9:10, 1122 DOI: 10.3390/math9101122.
Mandrikova Oksana Viktorovna – D. Sci. (Tech.), Professor, Head. Laboratory of System Analysis, IKIR FEB RAS, Russia, ORCID 0000-0002-6172-1827.
Yury Alexandrovich Polozov – PhD (Tech.), Senior Researcher Laboratory of System Analysis, IKIR FEB RAS, Russia, ORCID 0000-0001-6960-8784.