Vestnik КRAUNC. Fiz.-Mat. nauki. 2023. vol. 44. no. 3. P. 144-156. ISSN 2079-6641
Full text in Russian
Localization of Acoustic Emission Sources According to the Data of a Distributed System of Combined Receivers
A. O. Shcherbina^\ast, A. A. Solodchuk
Institute of Cosmophysical Research and Radio Wave Propagation, FEB RAS, 684034, Kamchatka region, Paratunka, Mirnaya str., 7, Russia
Abstract. The article relates to the field of non-destructive testing of the stress-strain state of rocks in seismically active regions using the acoustic-emission method. The studied rocks are the source of the signal. Long-term studies in Kamchatka show that geoacoustic emission signals are a combination of pulses of various amplitudes, duration (about 30-100 ms) and fill frequency (up to 10 kHz), with a steep front and a smooth decline. The pulse repetition rate varies from units per minute to several hundred per second, depending on the stress-strain state of the rocks. The article presents the results of an experiment to determine the distance to sources of high-frequency acoustic radiation generated in near-surface sedimentary rocks. An underwater distributed acoustic system installed in Mikizha lake in Kamchatka is used to record signals. Two combined receivers are used as sensors, recording sound pressure and three of its gradients, and one sound pressure receiver. The direction to the source of the geoacoustic signal recorded by each receiver is determined by vector-phase methods. After that, radiation sources are localized in two ways: by triangulation and by the difference in the arrival time of signals from spaced receivers (empirical implementation of the difference-range-measuring method). The features of the application of the methods are described, taking into account the design features of the registration system. During the experiment, the coordinates of more than 40 sources of geoacoustic emission were measured, and their spatial distribution was plotted. The measurement error was less than 0.5 m. The paper presents directions for further development of research to improve the accuracy of emission sources localization. This article is an expanded and revised version of the report of the same name, presented by the authors at the XIII international conference “Solar-terrestrial relations and physics of earthquake precursors” (September 25 – 29, 2023, Paratunka, Kamchatka).
Key words: high-frequency geoacoustic emission, sound source localization, vector-phase methods.
Received: 15.10.2023; Revised: 22.10.2023; Accepted: 31.10.2023; First online: 02.11.2023
For citation. Shcherbina A. O., Solodchuk A. A. Localization of acoustic emission sources according to the data of a distributed system of combined receivers. Vestnik KRAUNC. Fiz.-mat. nauki. 2023, 44: 3, 144-156. EDN: XNEHRM. https://doi.org/10.26117/2079-6641-2023-44-3-144-156.
Funding. The work was carried out within the framework of the State task on the topic (2021—2023) “Physical processes in the system of near space and geospheres under solar and lithospheric impact registration number
Competing interests. There are no conflicts of interest regarding authorship and publication.
Contribution and Responsibility. All authors contributed to this article. Authors are solely responsible for providing
the final version of the article in print. The final version of the manuscript was approved by all authors.
^\astCorrespondence: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The content is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
© Shcherbina A. O., Solodchuk A. A., 2023
© Institute of Cosmophysical Research and Radio Wave Propagation, 2023 (original layout, design, compilation)
- Chebrov V. N., Saltykov V. A., Serafimova Yu. K. Prognozirovanie zemletryaseniy na Kamchatke. Po materialam raboty Kamchatskogo filiala Rossiyskogo ekspertnogo soveta po prognozu zemletryaseniy, otsenke seysmicheskoy opasnosti. i riska v 1998-2009 gg. [Earthquake forecasting in Kamchatka. Based on the materials of the Kamchatka branch of the Russian Expert Council on Earthquake Prediction, Seismic Hazard and Risk Assessment in 1998-2009]. Moscow, Svetoch Plus, 2011, 304 p.(In Russian).
- Paparo G., Gregori G. P., Coppa U., DeRitis R., Taloni A. Acoustic emission (AE) as a diagnostic tool in geophysics, Annals of geophysics, 2002, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 401–416. DOI:10.4401/ag-3511
- Dolgikh G. I., Shvets V. A., Chupin V. A., Yakovenko S. V., Kuptsov A V., Larionov I. A., Marapulets Y. V., Shevtsov B. M., Shirokov O. P. Deformation and acoustic precursors of earthquakes, Doklady Earth Sciences, 2007, vol. 413, no. 1, pp. 281–285. DOI: 10.1134/S1028334X07020341.
- Marapulets Yu. V. High-frequency acoustic emission effect, Bulletin KRASEC. Phys. & Math. Sci, 2015, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 39–48. DOI: 10.18454/2313-0156-2015-10-1-39-48.
- Lukovenkova O., Marapulets Yu., Solodchuk A. Adaptive Approach to Time-Frequency Analysis of AE Signals of Rocks, Sensors, 2022, vol. 22, art. no. 9798. DOI:10.3390/s22249798.
- Gordienko V. A. Vektorno-fazovye metody v akustike [Vector phase methods in acoustics]. Moscow, Fizmatlit, 2007, 480 p.(In Russian.).
- Marapulets Y. V., Shcherbina A. O. Assessing the orientation of the axis of maximum compression of rocks with a combined point receiver system, Acoustical Physics, 2018, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 742–749. DOI: 10.1134/S106377101806009X.
- Gusev V. G. Sistemy prostranstvenno-vremennoi obrabotki gidroakusticheskoi informatsii [Systems of spatio-temporal processing of hydroacoustic information]. Leningrad, Sudostroenie, 1988, 264 p.(In Russian).
- Shcherbina A., Solodchuk A. Improved algorithm for detecting pulses in geoacoustic emission signals recorded by a combined receiver in Kamchatka, AIP Conf. Proc., vol. 2910, no. 1, art. no. 020137. DOI: 10.1063/5.0175290.
- Al-Odhari A. H., Fokin G., Fedorenko I., Ryabenko D., Lavrov S. Issledovanie vliyaniya geometricheskogo raspredeleniya punktov priema i istochnika radioizlucheniya na tochnost’ pozitsionirovaniya [Research of influence of geometrical distribution of points of reception and radio emission source on accuracy of positioning], Vestnik Polotskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya C. Fundamental’nye nauki, 2017, vol. 4, pp. 2–7.(In Russian).
- Grin’ I. V., Ershov R. A., Morozov O. A., Fidel’man V. R. Otsenka koordinat istochnika radioizlucheniya na osnove resheniya linearizovannoy sistemy uravneniy raznostnodal’nomernogo metoda [Evaluation of radio source’s coordinates based on solution of linearized system of equations by range-difference method], Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Povolzhskiy region. Tekhnicheskie nauki, 2014, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 71–81. (In Russian).
- Marapulets Yu. V., Shevtsov B. M. Mezomasshtabnaya akusticheskaya emissiya [Mesoscale acoustic emission]. Vladivostok, Dalnauka, 2012, 126 p. (In Russian).
- Shcherbina A., Solodchuk A. Estimation of the power of geoacoustic emission sources registered in Mikizha Lake, Kamchatka region, E3S Web of Conferences, 2019, vol. 127, art. no. 03003. DOI: 10.1051/e3sconf/201912703003
Information about authors
Shcherbina Albert Olegovich – Ph. D. (Phys. & Math.), Senior Researcher, Laboratory of Acoustic Research, Institute of Cosmophysical Research and Radio Wave Propagation FEB RAS, Paratunka, Russia, ORCID 0000-0002-7236-161X.
Solodchuk Alexandra Andreevna – Ph. D. (Phys. & Math.), Senior Researcher, Laboratory of Acoustic Research, Institute of Cosmophysical Research and Radio Wave Propagation FEB RAS, Paratunka, Russia, ORCID 0000-0002-6761-8978.