Vestnik KRAUNC. Fiz.-Mat. Nauki. 2022. vol. 38. no. 1. pp. 147–165. ISSN 2079-6641
Modeling of radionuclide intake in humans living in the area affected by the Semipalatinsk test site
E. V. Romanenko¹, M. A. Umarov¹, G. A. Yakovlev²
¹Branch «Institute of Radiation Safety and Ecology» of RSE «NNC RK», 071100, Kazakhstan, Kurchatov, st. Beybit atom, 2
²Tomsk State University, 634050, Russia, Tomsk, Lenina ave., 36
In this study, Bodene village in Beskaragai district of East Kazakhstan Oblast of Kazakhstan was chosen as an object of study because it is close to the site of the nuclear test site and has a large accumulated array of data on the radioecological situation. As part of the study, a questionnaire survey was conducted, which made it possible to compile statistics on the population of the village, as well as on the characteristics of the diet and activities of long-term residents. The work included modeling of technogenic radionuclide intake into a human organism living and carrying out agricultural activity on the territory affected by the Semipalatinsk test site. Calculations are given for intake of radionuclides with plant and animal food, as well as by inhalation. These studies allow to make an assessment and forecast of radiation burden. At the same time it is important to note that no exceedances of
radiation norms have been detected. Contaminated food is the main risk factor for human health, therefore more attention should be paid to monitoring of radiation burden in radioecologically unfavorable areas. The methodology of the study can also be used to control the situation of other settlements, and the results of calculations of this work, in the future, can be used for comparison with the results of biophysical measurements.
Key words: technogenic radionuclides, STS, testing, intake, transfer coefficients, crop products, livestock products.
Original article submitted: 04.04.2022
Revision submitted: 20.04.2022
For citation. Romanenko E. V., Umarov M. A., Yakovlev G. A. Modeling of radionuclide intake in humans living in the area affected by the Semipalatinsk test site. Vestnik KRAUNC. Fiz.-mat. nauki. 2022, 38: 1, 147-165. DOI: 10.26117/2079-6641-2022-38-1-147-165
Competing interests. The authors declare that there are no conflicts of interest regarding authorship and publication.
Contribution and Responsibility. All authors contributed to this article. Authors are solely responsible for providing the final version of the article in print. The final version of the manuscript was approved by all authors.
The content is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.ru)
© Romanenko E. V., Umarov M. A., Yakovlev G. A., 2022
- Aktivnost’ radionuklidov v ob»emnykh obraztsakh. Metodika izmereniy na gammaspektrometrakh
s ispol’zovaniem programmnogo obespecheniya «SpectraLine» [Radionuclide activity in bulk samples. Methods of measurements on gamma-spectrometers using «Spectra-Line» software], Introduced in 2004-08-26. – Reg. No. KZ.07.00.00303-2004. Moscow: RSE «Kazakh Institute of Metrology», 2004 (in Russian).
- Metodika opredeleniya soderzhaniya iskusstvennykh radionuklidov plutoniya – (239+240), strontsiya – 90 v ob»ektakh okruzhayushchey sredy (pochvakh, gruntakh, donnykh otlozheniyakh i rasteniyakh) [Methodology for determining the content of artificial radionuclides of plutonium – (239+240), strontium – 90 in environmental objects (soils, soil, bottom sediments and plants)], Introduced in 2010-12-01. – Reg. No. 43151.4Б207/01.00294-2010. Moscow: NPO VNIIFTRI, 2010 (in Russian).
- Metodika vypolneniya izmereniy «Opredelenie udel’noy aktivnosti iskusstvennykh radionuklidov plutoniya-(239+240), strontsiya-90 v ob»ektakh okruzhayushchey sredy: pochvakh, gruntakh, donnykh otlozheniyakh i rasteniyakh» [Measurement procedure «Determination of specific activity of artificial radionuclides of plutonium-(239+240), strontium-90 in environmental objects: soils, grounds, bottom sediments and plants».], Introduced in 2004-08-26. – Reg. No. № KZ.07.00.00303-2004. Almaty: Republican State Enterprise «Institute of Nuclear Physics», 2016. 10 pp. (in Russian)
- Shestakov Yu. G. Matematicheskie metody v geologii: uchebnoe posobie dlya studentov geologicheskikh spetsial’nostey [Mathematical Methods in Geology : Textbook for Geology Students]. Krasnoyarsk: Krasnoyarsk University Press, 1988. 208 pp. (in Russian)
- Gigienicheskie normativy «Sanitarno-epidemiologicheskie trebovaniya k obespecheniyu radiatsionnoy bezopasnosti»[Hygienic Standards «Sanitary and Epidemiological Requirements for Radiation Safety»]: issued by Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan № 155 of February 27, 2015 (in Russian).
- Quantification of Radionuclide Transfer in Terrestrial and Freshwater Environments for Radiological Assessments, (IAEA Technical Document, No. 1616). Vienna, Austria: IAEA. 616 pp.
- Lukashenko S. N. Otsenka kachestva sel’skokhozyaystvennoy rastenievodcheskoy produktsii pri ee proizvodstve na uslovno «fonovykh» territoriyakh SIP [ Assessment of the quality of agricultural crop production in the conditionally «background» areas of the CIP] / Optimization of studies of the territories of the Semipalatinsk test site for the purpose of their transfer into economic turnover, Current Issues of Radioecology of Kazakhstan., vol. 5. Printing House, Pavlodar, 2015, pp. 249–268 (in Russian).
- Korneev P. A., Sirotkin A. N. Osnovy radioekologii sel’skokhozyaystvennykh zhivotnykh [Fundamentals of radioecology of farm animals]. Moscow: Energoatomizdat, 1987 (in Russian).
- Aleksakhin R. M., Vasiliev A. V., Dikarev V. G. et al. Sel’skokhozyaystvennaya radioekologiya / Pod red. R.M. Aleksakhina, N.A. Korneeva [Agricultural radioecology / Edited by R.M. Aleksakhin, N.A. Korneev]. Moscow: Ecology, 1992 (in Russian).
- Poleznye kameshki dlya domashney ptitsy [Useful pebbles for poultry], Web resource URL: https://forum.rmnt.ru/threads/poleznye-kameshki-dlja-domashnej-pticy.102290/ (Access date: 26.10.2021) (in Russian).
- Skol’ko vesit kurinoe yaytso? Ves po markirovke [How much does a chicken egg weigh? Weight by label], Web resource URL: http://vesit-skolko.ru/yajco-jajco/ (Access date: 26.10.2021) (in Russian).
- Human Respiratory Tract Model for Radiological Protection, ICRP Publication 66. Ann. ICRP 24 (1-3): ICRP.
- Oatway W. B., Mobbs F. Methodology for Estimating The Doses to Members of the Public from the Future Use of Land Previously Contaminated with Radioactivity, Report NRPB W36 National Radiological Protection Board Great Britain, 2003.
Romanenko Ekaterina Viktorovna – Category 2 Engineer, Laboratory of Nuclear and Physical Methods of Analysis «Institute of Radiation Safety and Ecology, RSE NNC RK, Kurchatov, Kazakhstan, ORCID 0000-0003-2560-302X
Umarov Murat Alpyspayevich – Ph. D. (Chemical Sciences), Head of Analytical Research Department, Branch of «Institute of Radiation Safety and Ecology, RSE NNC RK, Kurchatov, Kazakhstan, ORCID 0000-0002-4817-1242.
Yakovlev Grigorii Alekseevich – student at Tomsk State University, Tomsk, Russia, ORCID 0000-0001-7842-5672.
Download article: Romanenko E. V., Umarov M. A., Yakovlev G. A. Modeling of radionuclide intake in humans living in the area affected by the Semipalatinsk test site