Vestnik КRAUNC. Fiz.-Mat. nauki. 2022. vol. 38. no. 1. P. 84-105. ISSN 2079-6641
MSC 65K10, 65C35, 68U10
RAPID — A model of fast eye pupil registration and tracking by a modified metaheuristic differential evolution method based on the Verhulst-Pearl equation
Y. V. Grushko
Vitus Bering Kamchatka State University, 683032, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy, Pogranichnaya str., 4, Russia
This paper proposes a model of fast registration and pupil tracking — «RAPID», for devices with limited computing resource (weak personal computers, smartphones, embedded systems based on ARM architecture) in order to reduce the cost of technology for individual use by people with disabilities and medical institutions. The model is based on the idea of representing the process of video oculography as a multidimensional global optimization problem and its solution by the metaheuristic method of differential evolution. The optimization problem (objective function) is formalized as a search for the region that approximates the pupil in the three-dimensional parameter space most completely — the position and approximate size of the pupil. For the considered optimization problem we propose a modification of differential evolution method based on the process of formation of genetic isolations of population of solutions in the neighborhood of all local and global extremums of the target function followed by growth of the most adapted isolation (near the global extremum) and degeneration of others according to the differential Verhulst-Pearl equation. This behavior makes the search algorithm less «greedy» and makes it possible to correctly extract the pupil from the full frame. The developed tracking model can be used in the development of software packages in the task of augmentative communication for patients with lateral amyotrophic sclerosis or diplegia syndromes, on non-specialized devices, as well as in ophthalmological complexes and infrared-pupillometers.
Key words: videooculography, differential evolution, multivariate global optimization, region of interest, Hough transform, Verhulst-Pearl model.
Original article submitted: 15.02.2022
Revision submitted: 01.03.2022
For citation. Grushko Y. V. RAPID — A model of fast eye pupil registration and tracking by a modified metaheuristic differential evolution method based on the Verhulst-Pearl equation. Vestnik KRAUNC. Fiz.-mat. nauki. 2022, 38: 1, 84-105. DOI: 10.26117/2079-6641-2022-38-1-84-105
The content is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.ru)
© Grushko Y. V., 2022
Funding. Scientific research work of Vitus Bering Kamchatka State University, № AAAA-A19-119072290002-9.
Competing interests. The author declares that there are no conflicts of interest with respect to authorship and publication.
Contribution and responsibility. The author contributed to the writing of the article and is solely responsible for submitting the final version of the article to the press. The final version of the manuscript was approved by the author.
Acknowledgments. I express my gratitude to the supervisor, Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences R.I. Parovik for a number of comments that contributed to the improvement of the presented work.
- Oshorov A. V., Aleksandrova E. V., Muradyan K. R., Sosnovskaya O. Y., Sokolova E. Y., Savin I. A. Pupillometry as a method of monitoring photoreactivity in neuroresuscitation,Voprosy nejrohirurgii imeni N.N. Burdenko, 2021. vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 117–123 (In Russian).
- Kucalo A. L., Cimbal M. V., Homich D. S., Varenikov M. G., SHtejnberg N. V. Dynamic Pupillometry as a Screening Diagnostic Method for Industrial Toxicant Poisoning, Medicina ekstremal’nyh situacij, 2018. vol. 20, pp. 487–493, (In Russian).
- Logroscino Giancarlo et. al. Global, regional, and national burden of motor neuron diseases 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016, The Lancet Neurology, 2018. vol. 17, pp. 1083–1097.
- Tkachenko E. S., Goleva O. P., Shcherbakov D. V., Halikova A. R. Cerebral Palsy: State of the Study of the Problem (Review), Mat’ i ditya v Kuzbasse, 2019. vol. 2, pp. 4–9 (In Russian).
- Durna Y., Ari F. Design of a Binocular Pupil and Gaze Point Detection System Utilizing High Definition Images, Applied Sciences, 2017. vol. 7, pp. 498.
- Grushko Y. V. Hardware-software complex of augmentative communication system based on eyetracking technology, Vestnik KRAUNC. Fiz.-Mat. Nauki, 2019. vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 55–73 (In Russian).
- Bonteanu P., Cracan A., Bonteanu G., Bozomitu R. A. Robust Pupil Detection Algorithm Based on a New Adaptive Thresholding Procedure / IEEE International Conference on e-Health and Bioengineering EHB (2019)., 2019, pp. 276.
- Matveev I. A. Methods and algorithms for automatic processing of images of the iris of the eye. Dissertation for the degree of Doctor of Technical Sciences, 2014 (In Russian).
- Alkuzaay M., Alshemmary E.Towards Accurate Pupil Detection Based on Morphology and Hough Transform, Baghdad Science Journal, 2020. vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 583–590.
- Dongheng L., Winfield D., Parkhurst D. J. A hybrid algorithm for video-based eye tracking combining feature-based and model-based approaches / Paper Presented at the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (2005), 3, 2005, pp. 79.
- Fuhl W., Santini T., K¨ubler T., Kasneci E. ElSe: ellipse selection for robust pupil detection in realworld environments / The Ninth Biennial ACM Symposium, 2016, pp. 123–130.
- Swirski. L. Bulling. A. Dodgson. N. Robust real-time pupil tracking in highly off-axis images / Proceedings of the Symposium on Eye Tracking Research and Applications (ETRA), 2012, pp. 173–176.
- Topal Cihan, ¸CAKIR Halil, Akinlar Cuneyt. An Adaptive Algorithm for Precise Pupil Boundary Detection using Entropy of Contour Gradients, 2017.
- Yang Z. Intelligent Evaluation of Strabismus in Videos Based on an Automated Cover Test, Applied Sciences, 2019, pp. 59.
- Fuhl Wolfgang, Geisler David, Rosenstiel Wolfgang, Kasneci Enkelejda. The Applicability of Cycle GANs for Pupil and Eyelid Segmentation, Data Generation and Image Refinement, 2019, pp. 4406–4415.
- Grushko Y. V., Parovik R. I. Fast Pupil Tracking based on the Study of a Boundary-stepped Image Model and Multidimensional Optimization Hook-Jives Method, Informatika i avtomatizacija – Informatics and automation, 2021. vol. 2, pp. 435–462 (In Russian).
- Chinese Academy of Sciences Institute of Automation. Iris image database, version 4, 2021
- Kovalevich A. A., Jakimov A. I., Albkeirat D. M. Study of stochastic optimization algorithms for use in simulation of systems, Informacionnye tehnologii – Information technologies, 2011. vol. 8, pp. 55–60 (In Russian).
- Pupkov K. A., Feoktistov V. A. Algorithm «Differential evolution» for the problem of technical design, Informacionnye tehnologii – Information technologies, 2004. vol. 8, pp. 25–31 (In Russian).
- Storn R., Price K. Differential evolution – a simple and efficient heuristic for global optimization over continuous spaces, Journal of Global Optimization, 1997. vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 341–359.
- Tsoularis A. N., Wallace J. Analysis of Logistic Growth Models, Mathematical biosciences, 2002. vol. 179, pp. 21–55.
- Jeyakumar Gurusamy, C. Shanmugavelayutham. Convergence Analysis of Differential Evolution Variants on Unconstrained Global Optimization Functions, International Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Applications, 2011.
- Meera Ramadas, Ajith Abraham, Sushil Kumar. FSDE-Forced Strategy Differential Evolution used for data clustering, Journal of King Saud University — Computer and Information Sciences, 2019. vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 52–61.
Grushko Yuriy Vasilyevich – PhD student of the Fac. of Phys. & Math., Vitus Bering Kamchatka State University, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy, Russia, ORCID 0000-0002-3663-0018.