Vestnik KRAUNC. Fiz.-Mat. Nauki. 2022. vol. 41. no. 4. pp. 167–177. ISSN 2079-6641
MSC 86A10, 86A15
Evaluation of the effectiveness of earthquake prediction in the Kamchatka region based on the complex of ionospheric anomaliese
V. V. Bogdanov, A. V. Pavlov
Institute of Cosmophysical Research and Radio Wave Propagation FEB RAS, 684034, Paratunka, Mirnaya str., 7, Russia
There is a direct relationship between solar activity and processes in the magnetosphere, ionosphere and lithosphere of the Earth. However, there is also a feedback that determines the influence of lithospheric processes in seismically active regions on the physical processes occurring in the upper geospheric shells. In seismically active regions, any anomalous changes in the behavior of the ionospheric parameters that form against the background of a regular daily change in the characteristics of the ionosphere due to the influence of the Sun can provide information about the processes of earthquake preparation. At the same time, each seismically active region is characterized by its own most informative features (anomalies) in the behavior of ionospheric parameters, which can be identified with earthquake precursors. The paper considers ionospheric disturbances that were recorded in the course of vertical radio sounding of the ionosphere several days before the onset of earthquakes with magnitude M \geq 6.0 in the Kamchatka region. For these ionospheric disturbances, a statistical analysis of their predictive effectiveness for earthquakes with magnitude M \geq 6.0 was carried out for the period 2013–2021. Variants of complexes of ionospheric parameters with the best predictive efficiency, which can be used to create a technique for short-term prediction of strong earthquakes, are considered. A retrospective analysis of efficiency of the forecast of earthquakes with magnitude M 6:0 based on the considered complexes of ionospheric parameters was carried out.
Key words: ionosphere, vertical radio sounding, lithosphere, earthquake, earthquake precursor.
Original article submitted: 10.11.2022
Revision submitted: 25.11.2022
For citation. Bogdanov V. V., Pavlov A. V. Evaluation of the effectiveness of earthquake prediction in the Kamchatka region based on the complex of ionospheric anomalies. Vestnik KRAUNC. Fiz.-mat. nauki. 2022, 41: 4, 167-177. DOI: 10.26117/2079-6641-2022-41-4-167-177
Competing interests. The authors declare that there are no conflicts of interest regarding authorship and publication.
Contribution and Responsibility. All authors contributed to this article. Authors are solely responsible for providing the final version of the article in print. The final version of the manuscript was approved by all authors.
The content is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.ru)
© Bogdanov V. V., Pavlov A. V., 2022
Funding. The work was carried out as part of the implementation of the state task AAAA-A21-121011290003-0
- Gokhberg M. B., Pilipenko V. A., Pokhotelov O. A. O seysmicheskikh predvestnikakh v ionosfere [On seismic precursors in the ionosphere], Fizika Zemli, 1983, 10, 17-21 (In Russian).
- Liperovskiy V. A., Pokhotelov O. A., Shalimov S. L. Ionosfernye predvestniki zemletryaseniy [Ionospheric precursors of earthquakes]. Moscow, Nauka, 1992, 304 (In Russian).
- Pulinets S. A., et.al. Prognoz zemletryaseniy vozmozhen?! [Earthquake forecast is possible?!]. Moscow, Trovant, 2014, 144 (In Russian).
- Bogdanov V. V. et. al. O vliyanii solnechnoy aktivnosti na atmosfernye i seysmicheskie protsessy Kamchatki [On the influence of solar activity on atmospheric and seismic processes in Kamchatka]. In: Kompleksnye seysmologicheskie i geofizicheskie issledovaniya Kamchatki. K 25-letiyu Kamchatskoy opytno-metodicheskoy seysmologicheskoy partii GS RAN [Integrated seismological and geophysical studies of Kamchatka. To the 25th anniversary of the Kamchatka Experimental and Methodological Seismological Party of the GS RAS]. Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy, KOMSP GS RAN, 2004, 259-278. (In Russian).
- Bogdanov V. V., et. al. Anomal’noe povedenie ionosfernykh parametrov nakanune i posle serii zemletryaseniy 28.02.-01.03.2013 g [Anomalous behavior of ionospheric parameters on the eve and after the series of earthquakes February 28–March 1, 2013]. In: Sil’nye kamchatskie zemletryaseniya 2013 goda [Strong Kamchatka earthquakes in 2013]. Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy, Novaya kniga, 2014. 127-135 (In Russian).
- Bogdanov V. V., et. al. Anomalous behavior of ionospheric parameters above Kamchatka peninsula before and during seismic activity, Physics and Chemistry of the Earth. Parts A/B/C, 2017, 98, 154-160.
- Bogdanov V. V., Pavlov A. V. Dynamics of ionospheric parameters before earthquakes on 28.02.2013-01.03.2013 and 19.05.2013-24.05.2013, Vestnik KRAUNC. Fiz.-mat. nauki, 2018, 22:2, 85-99. DOI:10.18454/2079-6641-2018-22-2-85-99 (In Russian).
- Chebrova A.Yu., et. al. Seismological data information system in Kamchatka branch of GS RAS: organization principles, main elements and key functions, Geophysical Research, 2020, 21:3, 66-91 (In Russian).
- Saltykov V. A. O vozmozhnosti ispol’zovaniya prilivnoy modulyatsii seysmicheskikh shumov v tselyakh prognoza zemletryaseniy [On the possibility of using tidal modulation of seismic noise for earthquake prediction], Fizika Zemli, 2017, no. 2, pp. 84-96. (In Russian).
- Gusev A. A. Prognoz zemletryaseniy po statistike seysmichnosti [Earthquake forecast according to seismicity statistics]. In: Seysmichnost’ i seysmicheskiy prognoz, svoystva verkhney mantii i ikh svyaz’ s vulkanizmom na Kamchatke [Seismicity and seismic forecast, properties of the upper mantle and their relationship with volcanism in Kamchatka]. Novosibirsk, Nauka, 1974, pp. 109-119. (In Russian).
- Molchan G. M. Strategies in strong earthquake prediction, Phys. Earth and Planet. Inter., 1990, 61. 84-98.
Bogdanov Vadim Vasil’evich – Dr. Sci. (Phys. & Math.), Chief Researcher, Institute of Cosmophysical Research and Radio Wave Propagation FEB RAS, Paratunka, Russia, ORCID 0000-0002-9267-0401.
Pavlov Aleksey Vladimirovich – Ph. D. (Phys. & Math.), Researcher, Institute of Cosmophysical Research and Radio Wave Propagation FEB RAS, Paratunka, Russia, ORCID 0000-0001-5718-1429