Vestnik KRAUNC. Fiz.-Mat. Nauki. 2022. vol. 41. no. 4. pp. 47–65. ISSN 2079-6641
MSC 26A33, 85-08
Mathematical modeling in MATLAB of solar activity cycles according to the growth-decline of the Wolf number
D. A. Tverdyi, R. I. Parovik
Institute of Cosmophysical Research and Radio Wave Propagation FEB RAS, 684034, p. Paratunka, Mirnaya st., 7, Russia
In this article, mathematical modeling of the dynamics of solar activity is carried out. Observational data on the average monthly number of sunspots, called the Wolf number, for the period of 24.5 years from May 1996 to October 2022 are studied. Based on the results of a similar study of data on this process, using the Riccati equation of a fractional constant order, that the rise and fall of the Wolf number over time occurs along a curve very close to the generalized logistic curve, this article also proposes a mathematical model based on the Riccati equation. Since the Riccati equation describes well the processes that obey the logistic law. However, the equation is generalized to the integro-differential Riccati equation by introducing a fractional derivative of the Gerasimov-Caputo type of variable order, and a fractional derivative with a variable order, allows you to get a more precise mathematical model of Wolf number cycles with saturation, and allows you to take into account the effect of variable memory. All model calculations, data processing and visualization are carried out in the FDRE 3.0 program developed in the MATLAB package. Modeling parameters are refined by approximation of known data under study, using regression analysis. As a result, the model curves and graphs of the observed data known for 24.5 years show good agreement with each other. With the help of a refined mathematical model, a forecast is made for the next 9 years, which visually agrees well with the known model results of solar activity.
Key words: solar activity, Wolf number, mathematical modeling, saturation effect, hereditarity, Riccati equation, Gerasimov-Caputo type derivative.
Original article submitted: 19.11.2022
Revision submitted: 22.11.2022
For citation. Tverdyi D. A., Parovik R. I. Mathematical modeling in MATLAB of solar activity cycles according to the growth-decline of the Wolf number. Vestnik KRAUNC. Fiz.-mat. nauki. 2022, 41: 4, 47-65. DOI: 10.26117/2079-6641-2022-41-4-47-65
Competing interests. The authors declare that there are no conflicts of interest regarding authorship and publication.
Contribution and Responsibility. All authors contributed to this article. Authors are solely responsible for providing the final version of the article in print. The final version of the manuscript was approved by all authors.
The content is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.ru)
© Tverdyi D. A., Parovik R. I., 2022
Funding. The research was carried out within the framework of the state task of IKIR FEB RAS on the topic AAAA-A21-121011290003-0.
- Murtazov A. K. Fizika zemli. Kosmicheskie vozdejstviya na geosistemy 2-e izd. per. i dop. [Physics of the earth. Space impacts on geosystems 2nd ed. additional]. Moscow, YUrajt, 2021, 268 (In Russian).
- Volterra V. Functional theory, integral and integro-differential equations. Moscow, Nauka, 1982 (In Russian).
- Uchajkin V. V. Metod drobnyh proizvodnyh [Fractional derivative method]. Ulyanovsk, Artichoke, 2008, 510 (In Russian).
- Nahushev A. M. Drobnoe ischislenie i ego primenenie [Fractional calculus and its application]. Moscow, Fizmatlit, 2003, 272 (In Russian).
- Kilbas A. A., Srivastava H. M., Trujillo J. J. Theory and Applications of Fractional Differential Equations. Amsterdam, Elsevier Science Limited, 2006, 523.
- Uchaikin V. V. Fractional Derivatives for Physicists and Engineers. Vol. I. Background and Theory. Berlin, Springer, 2013, 373, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-33911-0.
- Ortigueira M. D., Valerio D., Machado J. T. Variable order fractional systems, Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 2019, 71, 231–243. DOI: 10.1016/j.cnsns.2018.12.003.
- Patnaik S., Hollkamp J.P., Semperlotti F. Applications of variable-order fractional operators: a review, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, 2020, 476:2234, 20190498. DOI: 10.1098/rspa.2019.0498.
- Coimbra C. F. M. Mechanics with variable-order differential operators, Annalen der Physik, 2003, 12: 11-12, 692–703. DOI: 10.1002/andp.200310032.
- Parovik R. I. On a finite-difference scheme for an hereditary oscillatory equation, Journal of Mathematical Sciences, 2021, 253:4, 547-557. DOI: 10.1007/s10958-021-05252-2.
- Parovik R. I. Mathematical modeling of linear fractional oscillators, Mathematics, 2020, 8:11, 18–79. DOI: 10.3390/math8111879.
- Parovik R. I. Tverdyi D. A. Some Aspects of Numerical Analysis for a Model Nonlinear Fractional Variable Order Equation, Mathematical and Computational Applications, 2021, 26:3, 55. DOI: 10.3390/mca26030055.
- Sun H., et al. Finite difference schemes for variable-order time fractional diffusion equation, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 2012, 22:4, 1250085. DOI: 10.1142/S021812741250085X.
- Tverdyi D. A., Parovik R. I. Investigation of Finite-Difference Schemes for the Numerical Solution of a Fractional Nonlinear Equation, Fractal and Fractional, 2022, 6(1):23, 1–27. DOI: 10.3390/fractalfract6010023.
- Buraev A. V. Nekotorye aspekty matematicheskogo modelirovaniya regional’nyh proyavlenij solnechnoj aktivnosti i ih svyazi s ekstremal’nymi geofizicheskimi processami [Some aspects of mathematical modeling of regional manifestations of solar activity and their connection with extreme geophysical processes]. Doklady Adygskoj (CHerkesskoj) Mezhdunarodnoj Akademii Nauk [Reports of the Adyghe (Circassian) International Academy of Sciences]. 2010, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 88–90 (In Russian).
- Postan M. Y. Generalized logistic curve: its properties and estimation of parameters, Ekonomika i matematicheskie metody, 1993, 29:2. 305–310 (In Russian).
- Therese A. S. Generalized Logistic Models, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 1988, 83:402, 426–431. DOI: 10.1080/01621459.1988.10478613.
- Rzkadkowski G., Sobczak L. A generalized logistic function and its applications, Foundations of Management, 2020, 12:1, 85–92. DOI: 10.2478/fman-2020-0007.
- Mandelbrot B.B. The fractal geometry of nature. New York, WH freeman, 1982, 468.
- Drozdyuk A. V. Logistic curve. Toronto, Choven, 2019, 270 pp., isbn: 978-0-9866300-2-6.
- Tverdyi D. A., Parovik R. I. Mathematical modeling of some logistic laws using the hereditary dynamical Riccati system, In: Proceedings of the 11th All-Russian Scientific Conference with International Participation (May 27–30, 2019). Matem. Mod. Kraev. Zadachi. Samara, Samara State Technical Univ., 2019, pp. 348–352 (In Russian).
- Taogetusang, Sirendaoerji, Li S. New application to Riccati equation, Chinese Physics B, 2010, 19, 080303. DOI: 10.1088/1674-1056/19/8/080303.
- Kurkin A. A., Kurkina O. E., Pelenovskij E. N. Logistic models of the spread of epidemics, Proceedings of NSTU im. R.E. Alekseev., 2020, 129, 9–18.(In Russian).
- Torres-Hernandez A., et al. Fractional Newton–Raphson Method Accelerated with Aitken’s Method, Axioms, 2021, 10:2, 1–47. DOI: 10.3390/axioms10020047.
- Zhukov S. A. O p’ezokeramike i perspektivah ee primeneniya [On piezoceramics and the prospects for its application]. Mir tekhniki i tekhnologij: mezhdunarodnyj promyshlennyj zhurnal [World of Engineering and Technology: International Industrial Journal]. 2021, no. 5, pp. 56–60 (In Russian).
- Bayldon J. M., Daniel I. M. Flow modeling of the VARTM process including progressive saturation effects, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 2009, 40:8, 1044–1052. DOI: 10.1016/j.compositesa.2009.04.008.
- Landis C. M. On the strain saturation conditions for polycrystalline ferroelastic materials, Jornal of Applied Mechanics, 2009, 70:4, 470–478. DOI: 10.1115/1.1600472.
- Sunspot Index and Long-term Solar Observations, dataset by Royal Observatory of Belgium (ROB) Av. Circulaire, 3 – B-1180 Brussels, acsses: 18.11.2022, https://www.sidc.be/silso/datafiles.
- Cox D. R. Hinkley D. V. Theoretical Statistics, 1st edition. London, Chapman & Hall/CRC, 1979, 528.
- Hughes A. J., Grawoig D. E. Statistics: A Foundation for Analysis. Boston, Addison Wesley, 1971, 525.
- Chicco D., Warrens M. J., Jurman G. The coefficient of determination R-squared is more informative than SMAPE, MAE, MAPE, MSE and RMSE in regression analysis evaluation, PeerJ Computer Sci., 2021, 299, e623. DOI: 10.7717/peerj-cs.623.
- Tverdyi D. A. Parovik R. I. Application of the Fractional Riccati Equation for Mathematical Modeling of Dynamic Processes with Saturation and Memory Effect, Fractal and Fractional, 2022, 6(3), 163, 1–35. DOI: 10.3390/fractalfract6030163.
Tverdyi Dmitrii Alexsandrovich – Ph. D. (Phys. & Math.), Lead programmer laboratory of electromagnetic propogation Institute of Cosmophysical Research and Radio Wave Propagation FEB RAS, Paratunka, Russia, ORCID 0000-0001-6983-5258.
Parovik Roman Ivanovich – D. Sci. (Phys. & Math.), Associate Professor, Leading researcher laboratory of modeling physical processes Institute of Cosmophysical Research and Radio Wave Propagation FEB RAS, Paratunka, Russia, ORCID 0000-0002-1576-1860.