Bulletin KRASEC. Phys. & Math. Sci, 2015, V. 10, №. 1, pp. 49-58. ISSN 2313-0156
SPECIAL ASPECTS OF CALIBRATION OF IONIZING RADIATION DETECTORS USED FOR SOIL RADON MONITORING
V.S. Yakovleva¹, P.M. Nagorskiy²
¹National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University, 634050, Tomsk, Lenin st., 30 Russia
²Institute of Monitoring of Climatic and Ecological Systems SB RAS, 634055, Tomsk, Akademicheskaya st., 10 / 3., Russia.
The results of calibration of α-, β- and γ-radiation detectors mounted into a borehole at the depths of 0.5 and 1 m, which are destined for soil radon monitoring, are represented and analyzed. The radon isotope radiometer RTM 2200 (SARAD GmbH, Germany) was used for calibration. It was determined that time variations of a-radiation flux density at the depths of 1 m poorly reflect the soil radon dynamics, both the diurnal variations and their amplitudes, and in the case with γ-radiation, they do not reflect it at all. Good synchronism between flux density dynamics of β-radiation at 0.5–1 m depth that of α-radiation at 0.5 m depth and radon volumetric activity dynamics measured at the same depths was found for diurnal and synoptic scales. Nevertheless, for certain days a small time shift between α- and β-flux densities and radon time series was observed. Recommendations for the conditions and the procedure of calibration of soil ionizing radiation detectors were developed.
Key words: radon, soil, monitoring, detector, ionizing radiation, calibration.
- Adushkin V.V., Spivak A.A., Kozhukhov S.A., Kukushkin Yu.V. Rezonansnye osobennosti eskhalyatsii prirodnogo radona [Resonance features of natural radon exhalation]. Doklady Akademii Nauk, 2005, V.400, No. 4, pp. 369-371.
2. Avdualiev A.K., Voitov G.I., Rudakov V.P. Radonovyi predvestnik nekotorykh sil’nykh zemletryasenii Srednei Azii [Radon precursor of some strong earthquakes in the Middle Asia]. DAN SSSR — Proceedings of the USSA Academy of Sciences, 1986, V. 291, No. 4, pp. 924-927.
3. Utkin V.I, Yurkov A.K. Radon i problema tektonicheskikh zemletryasenii [Radon and the problem of tectonic earthquakes]. Vulkanologiya i seismologiya – Volcanology and Seismology, 1997, No. 4, pp.84-92.
4. Segovia, N., Mena, M., Pena, P., Tamez, E., Seidel, J.L., Monnin, M., Valdes, C. Soil radon time series: surveys in seismic and volcanic areas. Radiation Meas. 1999. V. 31, P. 307-312.
5. Steinitz, G., Begin, Z.B. and Gazit-Yaari, N. A. Statistically Significant Relation between Rn Flux and Weak Earthquakes in the Dead Sea Rift Valley. Geology, 2003. V. 31. P. 505–508.
6. Zmazek, B., Vaupotic, J., Zivcic, M., Premru, U., Kobal, I. Radon monitoring for earthquake prediction in Slovenia. Fizika B (Zagreb). 2000. V. 9. N. 3. P.111-118.
7. Firstov P.P., Yakovleva V.S., Shirokov V.A., Rulenko O.P., Filippov Yu.A., Malysheva O.P. The nexus of soil radon and hydrogen dynamics and seismicity of the northern flank of the Kuril-Kamchatka subduction zone. Annals of Geophysics. – 2007. – V. 50. – № 4. – Р. 547–556.
8. Yakovleva V.S., Karataev V.D., Zukau V.V. Modelirovanie atmosfernykh polei g- i b-izluchenii, formiruyushchikhsya pochvennymi radionuklidami [Modeling of atmospheric fields of g- and b-radiations, formed by soil radionuclide]. Vestnik KRAUNTs. Fiz.-Mat. nauki — Bulletin KRAESC. Phys. & Math. Sci., 2011, No. 1 (2), pp. 64–73.
9. Yakovleva V.S., Nagorskii P.M., Cherepnev M.S. Formirovanie a-, b- i g-polei prizemnoi atmosfery prirodnymi atmosfernymi radionuklidami [Formation of a-, b- and g-fields of the near-ground atmosphere by natural atmospheric radionuclide]. Vestnik KRAUNTs. Fiz.-Mat. nauki — Bulletin KRAESC. Phys. & Math. Sci., 2014, No. 1 (8). pp. 86–96.
Original article submitted: 25.05.2015
Yakovleva Valentina Stanislavovna — Dr. Sci. (Tech.), Associate Professor, Professor of Dep. Applied Physics, National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University, Tomsk.
Nagorskiy Petr Mikhailovich – Dr. Sci. (Phys. & Math.), Professor, Leading Researcher of Lab. Physics of Climate Control Systems, Institute of Monitoring of Climatic and Ecological Systems SB RAS, Tomsk.
Download article Yakovleva V.S., Nagorskiy P.M.