Vestnik KRAUNC. Fiz.-Mat. Nauki. 2022. vol. 41. no. 4. pp. 209–224. ISSN 2079-6641
INSTRUMENTS AND MEASUREMENT METHODS
Magnetic measurements at observatories of IKIR FEB RAS: from the present to the future
S. Y. Khomutov
Institute of Cosmophysical Research and Radio Wave Propagation FEB RAS, 684034 Kamchatka region, Elizovskiy district, Paratunka, Mirnaya str., 7, Russia
A brief excursion into the history of magnetic measurements at the observatories of the IKIR FEB RAS, which begins with the International Geophysical Year (1957-1958) and subsequent decisions of the Government of the USSR and the Presidium of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, adopted in 1960-1962, is presented. Achievements are considered: (1) successful monitoring of the magnetic field according to IAGA standards (registration of variations on a photographic tape, absolute observations, preparation of hourly values of the total field intesity components H,D,Z); (2) the transition in the early 2000s from analog to digital equipment, which ended with the certification of three observatories Magadan, Paratunka and Khabarovsk by the international INTERMAGNET network (variation measurements with a frequency of 1 Hz, absolute observations in manual
mode, preparation of minute values of the magnetic field components); (3) reprocessing of archives of analog magnetograms and digital data available since the early 1990s. The analysis of the existing problems (personnel, financial, technogenic load, the need to modernize infrastructure and equipment) is made.
Key words: magnetic observatory, history, magnetometers
Original article submitted: 05.12.2022
Revision submitted: 08.12.2022
For citation. Khomutov S. Y. Magnetic measurements at observatories of IKIR FEB RAS: from the present to the future. Vestnik KRAUNC. Fiz.-mat. nauki. 2022, 41: 4, 209-224. DOI: 10.26117/2079-6641-2022-41-4-209-224
Competing interests. The author declares that there are no conflicts of interest regarding authorship and publication.
Contribution and Responsibility. The author contributed to this article. The author is solely responsible for providing the final version of the article in print. The final version of the manuscript was approved by the author.
The content is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.ru)
© Khomutov S. Y., 2022
Funding. The work was carried out as part of the implementation of the state task АААА-А21-121011290003-0
- Yanovsky B. M. Zemnoy magnetism. Leningrad, Leningrad Univ., 1978, 592 (In Russian).
- Parkinson W. D. Introduction to geomagnetism. Scottish Academic Press, 1983, 433.
- Jankowski J., Sucksdorff C. Guide for magnetic measurements and observatory practice. Warsaw, IAGA, 1996, 235.
- Kono M. (Ed.) Treatise on geophisics. Volume 5. Geomagnetism. London, Elsevier, 2007, 589.
- St-Louis B. (Ed.) INTERMAGNET Technical Reference Manual, Version 5.0.0. INTERMAGNET Operations Committee and Executive Council, 2020, 146.
- Nechaev S. Guide to stationary geomagnetic observations. Irkutsk, Publ. House of Institute of Geography SB RAS 2006, 140 (In Russian).
- Poddelsky A. I., Poddelsky I. N. Formation of radiophysical researches in the North-East of Russia, History of Science and Engineering, 2017, 8, 7-14 (In Russian).
- Basalaev M. L., Poddelsky I. N. Geophysical observatory Cape Schmidt – past, present and hopes for the future, History of Science and Engineering, 2017, 8, 15-19 (In Russian).
- Smirnov S. E., Khomutov S. Y. Observations of the magnetic field at the Kamchatka, History of Science and Engineering, 2017, 8, 20-27 (In Russian).
- Metrologicheskie osnovy magnitnyh nablyudenij Sibiri i Dal’nego Vostoka. Sb. dokl. Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskij, IKIR DVO RAN, 2003, 103 (In Russian).
- Rasson J. L., et. al. Report on upgrade of NIS magnetic observatories by the INTAS infrastructure action CRENEGON, Earth Planets Space, 2006, 58:6, 717–722.
- Khomutov S. Y. Magnetic observations at Geophysical Observatory Paratunka IKIR FEB RAS: tasks, possibilities and future prospects, E3S Web of Conferences, 2017, 20, 02002, 1-18.
- Khomutov S. Y. Methodological and software approaches to processing of magnetic measurements at observatories of IKIR FEB RAS, Russia, J. Ind. Geophys. Union (Special Volume – 2), 2016, 2, 54-61.
- Khomutov S. Y. International project INTERMAGNET and magnetic observatories of Russia: cooperation and progress, E3S Web of Conferences, 2018, 62, 02008, 1-11.
Khomutov Sergey Yur’evich – D. Sci. (Phys. & Math.), Head of Geophysical Observatory Paraunka, Paratunka, Kamchatka, Russia, ORCID 0000-0002-6231-7041